the project | biographies | multimedia | research uses | links | news

[up] The Collections NAHSTE logo

Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Division

Records of the University of Edinburgh Faculty of Science

Collection Summary

Reference Code

GB 0237 Da 45

Date(s)

1865-present

Extent and medium of the unit of description

11 metres

(131 volumes)

Existence and Location of Originals

This material is original.

Name of creator

University of Edinburgh | Science Degrees Committee | 1864-1993 | university committee | Edinburgh (Scotland) , University of Edinburgh | Faculty of Science | 1893-1991 | university faculty | Edinburgh (Scotland) and University of Edinburgh | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1991-: | university faculty | Edinburgh (Scotland)

Biographical History

Administrative History

The Faculty of Science at the University of Edinburgh was instituted under the terms of Ordinance No 31 of the Universities (Scotland) Act 1889. Prior to this the teaching and conferring of degrees in scientific subjects was split between the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Medicine, and from 1864 had been overseen by the Science Degrees Committee. A Department of Science was still maintained in the Faculty of Arts for some time after the creation of the Faculty of Science in 1893. Some of the subjects taught at this time under the new faculty included natural history, anatomy, geology, agriculture and rural economy, natural philosophy, chemistry, botany, physiology and engineering.

From 1920 the Faculty of Science was housed in the newly built Kings Buildings. In 1934 the Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies was affiliated to the University of Edinburgh. In 1951 the School became a constituent part of the University within the Faculty of Medicine. In 1964 the Professor of Veterinary Hygiene and Preventive Medicine was admitted to membership of the Faculty of Science prior to the creation of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.

As the Faculty grew departments were organised into divisions within the Faculty, such as the Division of Biological Sciences. Science libraries were also developed within the University.

In February 1991 the Faculty of Science was renamed the Faculty of Science and Engineering.

Scope and Content

Scope and Content

The Records of the University of Edinburgh Faculty of Science consist of:

  • minute books, Faculty of Science and Science Degrees Committee (1865-1972)
  • lists of candidates and results (1891-1967)
  • lists of non-graduating students (1920-1939)
  • Dean of Faculty of Science list (1879-1950)
  • student records (1937-1945)
  • student attendance records for final examinations (1923-1951)
  • science examinations correspondence (1846-1945)
  • Science Faculty Bulletins (1963-1965)
  • Scientist, newsletter of the Faculty of Science and Engineering (1991-present)
  • calendars, Royal Dick Veterinary School (1889-1952)
  • publications, including newsletters and annual reports, Royal Dick Veterinary School (1966-1996)
  • lists of non-graduating students, Royal Dick Veterinary School (1919-1942)
  • lists of non-graduating students, Department of Agriculture (1910-1939)
  • lists of non-graduating students, Department of Engineering (1914-1939)
  • lists of non-graduating students, Departments of Forestry, Technical Chemistry and Mining (1912-1939)

Index

Subjects

Businesses and Organisations

Places

[View administrative information]

Components of this collection