the project | biographies | multimedia | research uses | links | news

[up] The Collections NAHSTE logo

Glasgow University Archive Services

Records of Garscube Estate

Collection Summary

Reference Code

GB 0248 DC 080

Date(s)

1837-1968

Extent and medium of the unit of description

19.6 metres

(113 boxes, 277 volumes)

Existence and Location of Originals

This material is original.

Name of creator

Garscube Estate | c1558-1948 | private landed estate | Glasgow (Scotland)

Biographical History

Administrative History

Garscube Estate was acquired by the Colquhouns of Luss in 1558. The western section of the estate lay in the County of Dunbartonshire, the eastern section within the City of Glasgow, the boundary between the two being the River Kelvin. In 1687 the disposition of Garscube (c950 acres) was granted by Humphrey Colquhoun of Luss and his spouse, Margaret Houston, to John Campbell of Succoth, son of William Campbell of Succoth, Burgess and Provost of Dumbarton. He was granted the lands of Kipperminster in 1677, Dunottar in 1683, and Garscoob (Garscube) in 1687. He was succeeded by his eldest son, William Campbell of Succoth, who had disposition of the estate in 1689. His second son, Archibald Campbell of Succoth married Helen, only child and heiress of John Wallace of Elderslie in 1731. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir Ilay Campbell, 1st Baronet, Lord Succoth. The lands stayed in the same family until 1948.

Sir Archibald Campbell, 2nd Baronet, demolished the original Garscube House, and a new house, designed in Elizabethan style by William Burn, was built in 1827. Sir Archibald died on 23 July 1846, and the Barony and lands passed to his grandson, Sir Archibald Ilay Campbell, 3rd Baronet. He died on 11 September 1866 and, having no children, the estate passed to his brother, Sir George Campbell, 4th Baronet. He died without an heir on 17 February 1874 and the estate and Barony passed to his cousin, Sir Archibald Spencer Lindsay Campbell, 5th Baronet. Sir Archibald and his wife Lady Lucy lived in Garscube House until the outbreak of World War II in 1939. By this time fields in the Dunbartonshire section of the Estate had been set aside for the building of residential housing, whilst 55 acres of the 75 acre Glasgow section had been town planned as open space. The ground floor and basement area of Garscube House were requisitioned by the Ministry of Works for use during the War, whilst the first floor and attics were used as residential accommodation for nursing staff of Glasgow Royal Infirmary who were on duty at Canniesburn Auxiliary Hospital and Schaw Auxiliary Hospital, Bearsden. Sir Archibald died on 1 March 1941 . His only son, Sir George Ilay Campbell, 6th Baronet, who lived in Inverary, inherited both the title and the lands.

Sir George pursued several options for the future of Garscube House from 1944-1947: Gateside House School, Drymen, offered to rent the house for use as a girls' boarding school, but Sir George declined to make a decision as the house was still being used by the Ministry of Works. In February 1944 the house was offered to Sir William Burrell for his art collection, but the surrounding atmosphere was considered too smoky for the valuable items and the site still too close to the city. Sir George then offered to gift the house to the Thistle Foundation for use as a clinic and residential accommodation. This offer was turned down in favour of the site at Craigmillar in Edinburgh. It was thought that the Royal Infirmary may wish to have the house for residential accommodation and a nurses' training school, but the hospital management were not convinced of the long term suitability of the property. However, as a temporary measure, they did agree to lease the whole house when the Ministry of Works had vacated their part of the building. Another possibility was that the house might be used by the Glasgow Royal Mental Hospital. However, the proposed nationalisation of the hospitals led Sir George to withdraw this offer.

Eventually, in 1947, Sir George made an offer to gift the Manor House, South Lodge, East Lodge, and outbuildings to the University of Glasgow, and to sell them part of the surrounding land. This offer was accepted and the University took possession of Garscube House and lands on Whitsunday 1948 . The original intention had been to keep Garscube House, but following the discovery of extensive dry rot, the building was demolished in 1954. There had been a suggestion to build a complete new campus at Garscube, but the University gave preference to the site at Hillhead. The University lands at Garscube became the home of the Glasgow Veterinary School.

Sir George Ilay Campbell died in 1967, and the title, though not the Estate, passed to his son, Sir Ilay Mark Campbell of Murrayfield, 7th Baronet.

Scope and Content

Scope and Content

The records of Garscube Estate consist of:

  • factor's papers relating to Garscube Estate
  • factor's papers relating to Murrayfield Estate
  • factor's papers relating to Craigton Estate
  • factor's papers relating to Millichen Estate

Index

Subjects

People

Businesses and Organisations

Places

[View administrative information]

Components of this collection