the project | biographies | multimedia | research uses | links | news

[up] The Collections NAHSTE logo

Glasgow University Archive Services

Records of W Grant and Co

Collection Summary

Reference Code

GB 0248 UGD 237

Date(s)

1880-1971

Extent and medium of the unit of description

1.60 metres

(10 boxes, 2 volumes)

Existence and Location of Originals

This material is original.

Name of creator

W Grant and Co | timber and esparto merchants | fl1880-1955 | Leith (Scotland)

Biographical History

Administrative History

W Grant & Co operated as timber and esparto merchants and agents. The company's main office was at 5 St Andrews Square, Edinburgh. In December 1955 W Grant & Co (Agents) Ltd was incorporated. This new company was established to purchase, take over and carry on as a going concern W Grant & Co. In 1965 the company moved to a new office at 22 Mansionhouse Road, Edinburgh. This collection also contains material relating to L R Grant Ltd, timber and esparto merchants. L R Grant Ltd acquired limited liability in August 1928, and operated out the same office as W Grant & Co. However the company was wound up voluntarily in 1940.

Scope and Content

Scope and Content

The records of W Grant and Co consist of:

  • minutes 1928-1940
  • ledgers 1880-1884
  • journals 1925-1940 and 1955-1956
  • accounts 1880-1961
  • cash books 1954-1956
  • purchase books 1935-1938
  • register of members 1928-1936
  • memoranda and Articles of Association 1928 and 1955
  • correspondence 1887-1971
  • esparto reports 1880-c1965
  • arbitrations 1913-1965
  • records relating to other companies and organisations 1913-1971

Index

Subjects

Businesses and Organisations

Places

[View administrative information]

Components of this collection