the project | biographies | multimedia | research uses | links | news

[up] The Collections NAHSTE logo

Glasgow University Archive Services

Records of Ferguson, Shaw and Sons Ltd

Collection Summary

Reference Code

GB 0248 UGD 346

Date(s)

1926-1977

Extent and medium of the unit of description

1.6 metres

()

Existence and Location of Originals

This material is original.

Name of creator

Ferguson Shaw & Sons Ltd | c1843-1994 | oil and grease refiners | Glasgow (Scotland)

Biographical History

Administrative History

The firm of Ferguson Shaw and Sons Ltd commenced trading in around 1843 in premises at Port Dundas, Glasgow. They acted as manufacturers of fish oils, edible and compound fats and lubricating oils and had a number of subsidiaries concerned with the manufacture of soap. These included James Howie and Co Ltd, Salder and Co (Glasgow) Ltd, James Young and Sons (Springfield) Ltd and the Gleniffer Soap Co Ltd. They ceased trading in 1994 at which time they were based at 19 Tyndrum Street, Cowcaddens, Glasgow.

Scope and Content

Scope and Content

The records of Ferguson Shaw and Sons Ltd consist of:

  • financial, staff and production records
  • plans

Index

Subjects

Businesses and Organisations

Places

[View administrative information]